Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA), India’s premier container port, has been rated as the best performing port in India as per the latest report logistics performance index. JNPA’s index value is the highest that is 84.61, and is at the top of the list among the major ports of India. The top 5 computed based on the index value are – JNPA (84.61), Mundra (84.16), Pipavav (81.52), Delhi Airport (81.27) and Kakinada (77.22).
The performance ranking is conducted based on the 11 parameters common for all the major ports in the country. These parameters are as follows:
- Logistics time in hours.
- Demurrage cost as a per cent of logistics costs.
- Ease of Customs and documentation was measured on a scale of 1-10, with one being the least hindrance.
- Cost of Customs clearings as a share of total logistics cost.
- Speed money as a per cent of logistics cost.
- The overall perception of bribes as a hindrance to business is measured on a scale of 1-10, with one being the least hindrance.
- Harassment by gangs, pilferage/leakage, etc., measured on a scale of 1-10, with one being the least hindrance.
- Time taken from unloading of cargo to Customs check at the storage yard.
- Time taken from Customs checks at storage yard to when goods finally move out of port for importers.
- Time taken from the cargo transported to port to inspection by CBIC officials.
- Time taken from completion of CBIC officials’ inspection to cargo loaded on the vessel.
Acclaiming the port’s performance Shri Sanjay Sethi, IAS, Chairman, JNPA, said, “Congratulations to all the employees, stakeholders and clients as JNPA has achieved yet another milestone, becoming the best performing port in the country, meeting all the parameters. JNPA has been consistently working towards improving logistics costs, building world-class infrastructure and reducing time for the EXIM community. This depicts JNPA continues to be the hub of EXIM in India and provides a plethora of connectivity and logistics options at par with global standards.”
JNPA has constantly evolved to simplify and streamline processes with fully automated and integrated container services along with seamless connectivity, ensuring total transparency and Ease of Doing Business. JNPA follows a three pronged approach and undertaken various initiatives to promote EoDB by improving infrastructure, simplifying processes and digitization of activities. Under these, JNPA undertook development of Centralized Parking Plaza, widening of Port roads, Development of fourth container terminal Phase II, Installation of Scanners, Development of coastal berth, Development of Integrated Common Rail Yard Facility, Direct Port Delivery, Direct Port Entry, ITRHO, RFID based Terminal Gate transactions, Container Tracking, JNPA Mobile App, E-Delivery Orders, Upgradation of PCS System etc. Owing to the numerous measures, JNPA successfully handled total container traffic of 5.63 million TEUs in the Calendar Year 2021, which was also the highest EXIM container traffic handled by any Port in India. JNPA is committed to the nation’s economic growth and is leading the global value supply chain by providing the best mechanisms to carry out businesses.